Thursday, August 9, 2012

Domains Sending Traffic to My 'For Sale' Page

DomainReport.ca

About a year ago I started putting up an "Inquire about this domain name" link on many of my webpages, most of which I'd built as mini-sites with content.  I list most of my domains on Sedo, Afternic, and on Godaddy Premium, but I believe many people will visit the domain they are interested in to see what's there.  If you are willing to sell the domain, you want to make it easy for the person to contact you.

I usually place the domain enquiry link in the upper right part of the page, visible but not highly prominent.

The links for all the different domains go to the same offer page, with a form where people can contact me easily.

Does it work?

In the past year I've probably received a few enquiries per month, and had a few sales.  Nothing major, but better than reseller prices to other domainers.  If you have mini-sites or content built on your domains, I'd recommend doing the same thing because it is one more way to promote your domains, and you can save a fee from an aftermarket site if you deal directly with the buyer.  My offer form asks people to submit the domain they're interested in, their email, name, and an offer.  Not all people put in an offer amount, but some do, and it's one indication of how serious they are.

One side benefit I only realized after setting it up, is that my website stats show where visitors are coming from when they arrive on the offer page.  I get the date, time, country, city, province/state, IP address, new or returning visitor, internet provider, language, info on the device they use (PC/mobile), and most importantly which domain they are coming from.  Not everyone will fill in and submit the contact form, but at least I can see which domains are generating interest, and I definitely see some domains on there more than others.

So even if I don't get any form submissions after a few days, I can usually log in and see that some of my domains have been sending traffic to my domain offer page.  There is usually some action every day or two.

Some of my domains that have generated interest in the last month are:

Noix.ca  ('nuts' in french)

AgricultureFunds.com

ExpressoCapsule.com

KonaCoffee.ca

MotsCroises.ca  ('crossword puzzles' in french)

Mincir.ca  ('lose weight' or 'get thin' in french)

Consignation.ca

Grattage.ca  (french term used for scratch lotto tickets)

Fratire.com

BCSA.ca

-----------

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great way in determining where traffic is coming from. I have several domains for sale on Godaddy landing pages however, they just indicate that the domain is for sale and a contact email. Could you elaborate abit more on how one would establish a "domain enquiry link" for the domain landing page as I would really like to obtain the "date, time, country, city, province/state, IP address, new or returning visitor, internet provider, language, info on the device they use (PC/mobile), and most importantly which domain they are coming from"...Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my own hosting plan and build my own webpages. With your own hosting plan, you can get the extra info. Sounds like the Godaddy landing page has the basic needs, which is a note saying the domain is available for sale, and a way for people to contact you. Would be nice if some of these parking programs could give the extra info though (some probably do).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, by hosting one of my domains on Godaddy then creating a "domain enquiry link" on my other 'for sale' domain landing pages to the hosted domain name would allow me to obtain those stats? Thanks advance for the advise...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right, the main page where people contact you should be on some sort of hosted page where you have access to good visitor stats. The stats should also tell you what page the visitor came from, so even if they don't contact you, you'll see which of your domains people are visiting from.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!